Welcome Everyone.

Welcome to News From Italy, my blog about our Italian Adventure. Although this blog has now ceased publication I will be continuing to blog and I am sincerely hoping that my many followers here will move with me to Travel Tales blog to follow my next adventures wherever they may take me. The links to my other blogs are:-


I look forward to keeping in touch with you via them, thanks once again for all the support you have given 'News From Italy' over the years.

Friday, June 8, 2012

Castiglione del Lago, Umbria.



The final day of our weekend in Umbria we headed home to Northern Lazio via Castiglione del Lago on the shores of the Lago di Trasimeno, where we enjoyed a stroll around the town and a delicious lunch.


Earlier posts covering the weekend are  Foligno, Perugia  and  Assisi - Through My Camera Lens


Castiglione del Lago is on the southwest corner of the Lago di Trasimeno. Orvieto is 59 km to the south, Chiusi 21 km to the south west, Arezzo is 56 km to the north west, Cortona is 21 km to the north and Perugia is 47 km to the south east, placing it on an important historical route. The territory was always much in demand with Etruscans fighting the Romans, and later Tuscans against Perugians. 

The town grew, on land that was once an island and this is where the newest part of the town is, our walk however took us around the original and well preserved historical centre or centro storico.





A Slideshow of Images of Our Visit.
The first few photos were taken on the drive en route from Assisi to Castiglione del Lago.



I shared my photos of our visit in the form of a slideshow for this post as I have a lot of catching up to do and this was a very quick and easy option, which I hope you enjoyed. If however you would prefer to view as stills the full album can be viewed at Flickr.com 
Umbria Weekend Foligno April 2012 


If you would like to find out more about the region I suggest you start by visiting these links. Lago di Trasimeno - Wikipedia,  Trasimeno 2012,  Castiglione del Lago - Wikipedia  and Castiglione del Lago - Commune


This post is published on News From Italy and Travel Tales.


With this post today I am back with a fully functioning computer with hopefully all computer problems behind us! My old Sony Vaio was given a second replacement hard drive when the computer engineer discovered the laptop was corrupted yet again after he reloaded all the programmes. In the end it turned out to be a faulty ram storage card that had been causing the problems all the time, at least it was not a virus or security breach. Did you notice I wrote old Sony Vaio, well my husband has decided to take on the  renovated laptop to replace his little notebook which did not really meet his needs, as I discovered when I had to use it! I mentioned before that I did love the Vaio and found it great for blogging so I am now using a brand new and up to date Vaio that we purchased at a very reasonable price at Gatwick airport. You will recall that I was considering changing to a Mac, however I decided in the end after listening to advice that it was better to stay with the operating programme I know.


Thanks to those of you that sent me messages during my absence, your support of my blogs is much appreciated and the virtual friendships I have formed are one of the main reasons I am still blogging.


Have a lovely weekend wherever you are in the world and however you are spending it. I will be back soon with more News From Italy and I also post almost daily snippets on my Facebook Page.  News From Italy
Do join me there if you are on Facebook.

36 comments:

  1. I love all the photos! Thank you for sharing them, that slideshow is fab! I like especially the photos with the fluffy clouds and the yellow fields and those photogenic castles! Hope everything's great, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Linda:
    The slideshow was wonderful. A real opportunity for armchair travelling which we very much enjoyed.

    We do not know this part of Italy at all well and so have been intrigued to see it from the computer screen. We should love to explore it further one day in real life!The images of the water and the ancient buildings are particularly atmospheric and have a romantic quality to them which we associate with so many parts of Italy. Lovely!

    We are so pleased that your computer problems are now sorted. It is so irritating when the technology lets one down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to read that the whole computer struggle is over. Isn't it frustrating? We've come to expect such a high standard of performance, and it's hard when things go wrong.
    Your slide show is just magical.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the photos of your trip...Umbria looks fantastic. The old bricks...the trees...heavenly. My favorite photo is the one of the awesome foreign car parked next to the church?? is it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad that your computer problems are at an end. Nothing worse. My 'new' laptop is still not 100% but I did not have time for it to go back to the factory when the technician told me it was a hard drive problem in the UK. It works but I cannot connect by cable to try and speed things up. It is WIFI or nothing at all!! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, that's ages that I have been in this area ! Happy to hear that finally you have got a new computer ! I use my little Notebook for when I travel, so I can blog during my holiday trips. Now on Monday I will go with my friend (and neighbor) to London, combining a Musical/Hotel package with a meeting with my blogfriend Jo from South Africa, actually living in Tanzania, she will be in London too ! The world shrinks ! For us it is so easy to go to London it doesn't even take 2 h from Brussels.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome back. I love the yellows in the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So pleased to learn that you are once again on stream, and hope that you enjoy your new computer.
    I loved seeing the photos of Castiglione del Lago, we visited there many, many years ago, so your photos brought back happy memories to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will enjoy looking through your Flickr album of Castiglione del Lago. We were so close and thought about making a trip there near the end of our two weeks in Cortona but made the choice just to spend the day wandering around before heading back to Rome. We can't go everywhere on holidays but there's always a next time! Glad everything is working well again in the computer dept!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed your slideshow. The scenery is beautiful, what a lovely place to visit. Glad you computer problems are now solved and you are happy. Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice that you are back and now with ok computer.
    I enjoyed your update and the pictures very much!

    :-) Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great way of sharing about a place Lindy!The region is absolutely splendid, i really love Italy as it as so diverse secneries from north to south, it's a little like France...Wishing you a great Sunday! DeeBee

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for this beautiful trip. I truly enjoyed viewing it. Glad you are back and with no commuter problems. Hugs...Lu

    ReplyDelete
  14. Welcome back! Thanks for the lovely trip.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so glad that you are back here Linda!
    Thank you so much for taking us along with you on this wonderful trip.
    xo.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have really enjoyed looking at your latest photos. I'm really glad that you can find the time to comment on my blog. As always, I wait for your new posts from Italy in the summertime.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post, thanks. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  18. SO grateful to see you back safe....for several weeks after the earthquake
    each time I tried to get to your blog, a popup came up saying there was an
    internet issue and your blog could not be found
    and I was worried about you! Very glad to hear of your lighthearted travels
    and see the beauty of your world again:)
    -Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  19. Slideshow is a great idea, we don’t have to scroll down, down,....and down. I sit back and enjoyed seeing breathtaking photos. When computer troubles happen, I feel my blood pressure soaring up, it’s not healthy, but now I’m happy for you that things look all right again. Have happy days ahead.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good to see that you are back and with a brand new computer. There will be no stopping you now :))
    Italy looks like such a beautiful place to visit. Your pictures are really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I enjoyed seeing the photos in your slideshow, particularly the ones of bread and market items. It must be time for lunch!

    -Karen

    ReplyDelete
  22. How good to see blue sky, sunshine and shadows. Grey skies have become the norm here. On the radio this afternoon I heard a flood alert warning for the River Mole.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Italy is such a beautiful place to see! Your photos are always such wonderful to see. Glad to see you back!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh I am happy you are back, I do miss your news from Italia. I absolutely loved the slideshow. I could look at photos of Italia for hours as you know. I particularly liked the walled town with the orchard in the foreground - was that Castiglione del Lago?

    So pleased your computer problems have been sorted and you are back blogging. Three cheers! X

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am so glad your computer issues are now solved. Oh the photos are gorgeous!!! Thank you for sharing the news and lovely photos. Cool here in South Dakota these days, I like it but we do need some rain for our lawn looks terrible despite the fact it has automatic sprinkler. Have a wonderful week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm sure you are so relieved to get your computer issues all straightened away! So frustrating! But your photos are all so beautiful. Such beautiful old towns.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Glad you've mangaed to sort your computer problems which can be really frustrating, especially when it's difficult to get to the bottom of the problem.

    Welcome back with some wonderful pics of a beautiful country.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Welcome home Lindy Lou!

    I had a read about your Umbria trip on your travel blog. It sounds amazing! You really are so lucky to be able to see all these historical and incredible parts of the world.

    Sorry to hear about your computer issues. I think my poor old laptop is ready to go soon but I don't want to think about it yet. I might just do some backing up all the same!

    Best wishes and take care.
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Loved all the photos! You live in such a gorgeous country. I can't wait to return!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Gorgeous images, and yes a wonderful "virtual" friend as well xxx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Linda,

    Glad to hear that all your computer glitches are now behind you and you can get back to posting your great articles and photographs.

    Dave keeps thinking about swapping to a Mac, but that is going to be quite a way down the line, when our present venture starts to make some money!!

    I have to say that I keep running hot and cold about keeping my blog going. It does take up quite a lot of time, which I could be spending actually reading more books ... On the other hand, I have got to 'meet' loads of great people who have a common interest in books and I do enjoy browsing their blogs and commenting whenever I get the opportunity.

    It would be great if I didn't need to sleep, or if I could have a special time zone, where there are more than 24 hours in a day!!

    Glad you are back in touch with the world anyway,take care.

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  32. Gorgeous photos. Thanks for the virtual tour.

    Glad your computer issues are worked out.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Every time I look at your photos, I get so jealous! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate it and enjoy reading them all. I now only respond to comments via email, so please make sure your comment is linked to your account, if you would like a response. Otherwise I will not be able to respond!