Welcome Everyone.

Welcome to News From Italy, my blog about our Italian Adventure. Although this blog has now ceased publication I will be continuing to blog and I am sincerely hoping that my many followers here will move with me to Travel Tales blog to follow my next adventures wherever they may take me. The links to my other blogs are:-


I look forward to keeping in touch with you via them, thanks once again for all the support you have given 'News From Italy' over the years.

Saturday, March 19, 2011

La Festa di San Giuseppe - La Festa del Papa – Feast of St Joseph - Father’s Day + Sunday Song

   

          

                                                

A double celebration in Italy today as March 19th is La Festa di San Giuseppe, The Feast of Saint Saint Joseph and has been celebrated by the church here since he was declared the patron saint of the Universal Church by Pope Pius IX in 1870. As he is the patron saint of not just carpenters but also the poor and orphans many monasteries and churches in Italy distribute food to the needy on this day. 

Also on this date every year in Italy La Festa del Papa, Father’s Day is celebrated, nowadays it has become more and more of a commercial event with the shops full of gift ideas, like all other such occasions. However traditionally children prepare crafts, cards and poems at school for Babbo,(Dad, Daddy), certainly the little boy who lives next door does. Many families will also be celebrating with big family meals either lunch or dinner at home or at favourite local restaurants.

The video I have chosen to share is from Video Tiscali it was published as a present to the Fathers of the World on their site yesterday although it was originally made in 2010.

Festa del papa'

 

For Sunday Song this week I have found this song to share also dedicated to La Festa del Papa.

‘Papa Perche - Daddy Why’ sung by Zucchero an Italian artist I will feature another time but if you want to learn more about him the link via his name will take you to Wikipedia.

marilena1970

 

The words in Italian for ‘Papa Perche’ are on the screen of this video so I have not posted them but have included a translation into English. Songs do not often translate perfectly, but at least it gives you some idea.

Italian to English translation – Google Translation

Why Dad, Dad, because
I do not like blood into wine
Why Dad, Dad, because
I do not have a divine spirit
and because they are tired,
like I'm always on the go
I miss you and trudged
along the streets so vain
I always have a bit of Blues
in his eyes
there is always a bit of blue
in the sky
I always have a bit of blues for you
there is always a bit of Blues in my smile
Why Dad, Dad, because
I'm a little lost
in that city in which bar
I removed my greeting
See I'm tired, like I'm always on the go
I miss you and trudged
some days I am not certain at all
I always have a bit of Blues
in his eyes
there is always a bit of blue
in the sky
I always have a bit of blues for you
there is always a bit of Blues in your smile.
A swing that comes and goes swinging
but I'm in the mood tonight goes through.
Why Dad, because Dad
Daddy why.
Why Dad, because Dad
Daddy why.
The swing comes and goes swinging
but we're in the mood, the night goes, there is nursing
I always have a bit of Blues
in his eyes
there is always a bit of blue
in the sky
I always have some Blues for you
there is always a bit of Blues in your smile.
I always have a bit of Blues
in his eyes
there is always a bit of blue
in the sky
I always have some Blues for you
there is always a bit of Blues in your smile.
Dad because
Why Dad
Daddy why ah.
Dad because
Why Dad
Daddy why ah.

More Sunday Songs can be found by visiting Sunday Song at 5 Minutes Just for Me and Sunday Session at Doireallywannablog both Australian blogs.

  Sunday Session

 

I am also linking to Seasonal Saturday this weekend in the Lifestyle Category and participating in an ‘Expat Linky Party’

       Seasonal Saturday          Photobucket  Expat Linky Party

 

Enjoy your weekend wherever you are in the world and however you are spending it.

29 comments:

  1. we have a huge St. Joseph altar here at our Cathloic Church. It will take place tomorrow, today is set up. I will post pictures, because it truly is beautiful. Before my grandmother's passing last year, her and her Italian friends would gather, make spaghetti, cookies, breads, pastas and celebrate this day. This year the altar will be in her memory and the memory of her friends who also passed this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As Americans living in Spain, my son, Joseph, loves this day, because it also feels like his day to him...hahahaha...he did make a card for his dad in Spanish class though! I am your latest follower on google and facebook...so glad to meet you at the party. I have been to rome, but no where else in Italy and look forward to learning about your life...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting to read. I came here via the Happy Homemaker Linky party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What I really like in your posts is the way you summarize events. It was also very interesting to read your previous post about Italy. I knew these facts, but I didn't know the details.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to learn new things. Your blog is so neat! Thanks so much for telling us all about St. Joseph's Day and Father's Day in Italy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was really a good post. So full of information and beautiful images.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for visiting my blog via Seasonal Saturday. I enjoyed reading yours, as well. And I'm sure I'll stop back often to read about life in my grandparents' homeland of Italy. Now I'm off to the kitchen to nibble on some sfogliatelle for St. Joseph's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great post, and a lovely blog. Thank you for your visit from the Expat Linky Party. Looking forward to following along with Italian adventures. Did you visit Valdirose yet? The owner is lovely.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another interesting post Linda, telling us about the traditions of Italy. Interesting to know that it is Fathers Day there as well. Here in England (and I believe also in France), it is always on a Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful songs and videoa!

    Blessed St. Joseph's Day! We are hoping our grandson chooses this day to be born as he missed St. Patrick's Day :)

    Congratulations to Italy on 150 years of unification!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Are you sure you were not a teacher in your previous life? Love all these tidbits about holidays and feasts and food, and the cultural tidbits of life in Italy. Almost like being there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww, I love that they write poems at school for Babbo. Too cute. Thanks for stopping by my blog, and now I got a chance to see yours :) Have a great weekend and a good time celebrating one of the many holidays there!
    http://texagermanadian.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wonder if all countries celebrate Father's Day. Italy and parts of Europe are celebrating now, and in America we celebrate in June.
    I will ask some Catholic friends about St. Joseph - if it is a big day their churches here.
    What is the mountain that you can see from your house - dormant volcano?
    The weather is beautiful and warm today. I am taking a break from playing in the dirt, but I do have one more shrub to plant, and then to the shower. I should probably hose off from head to toe outdoors; I am a real mess.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Marta, thanks for visiting me today. I love Italy! How exiting that you get to live there. Enjoy your time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. LLM - I have to wait until September in Australia for my children to wish me happy father's day....
    Leon

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love days of celebration - sounds like a special 'double' one! Wishing you a lovely holiday weekend.

    Thank you for joining my Linky Party - it wouldn't have been the same without you! XOL

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loooove this celebration!!!
    thanks for sharing it!!!
    Have a lovely Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think it is great that you posted about St. Joseph's day since so many people are unfamiliar with it and the reason why it is celebrated. He sort of sadly gets forgotten after St. Patrick's Day. Did you know that there is a 'virtual' St. Joseph's table on the web? It's closed for this year, but one can get on the email list when they remind people that the 'table' is open again to cyber-add food and wine to the table. Glad you stopped by to share this weekend again! And also hope you're enjoying this first day of spring!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I never knew that there was a St Joseph's day. I love to pray to St. Joseph as well as the Blessed Mother.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So many amazing things to see and hear today Linda! I always learn so many new things when I visit.

    I never knew about St Joseph's day. It's quite lovely how many so many religious holidays are so actively and happily celebrated in Italy. We seem to be losing that here in Australia as we become more secular, politically correct and multi-cultural.

    Thanks for linking up to Sunday and also fro introducing me to Seasonal Saturdays. La Bella Vita is a lovely blog!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful, informative post! And I actually own the album that this song is on! I love Zucchero!!! I bought it in Reggia Emilia many years ago. Wishing you a great first week of spring! – g

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful entry :)
    Have a very happy Spring!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow how fun to learn about traditions fof Italy. The songs are wonderful as well, thanks for the translation.

    Amber
    Life, Love , Green

    ReplyDelete
  24. Marissa@ This is so interesting, thankyou for telling me about it,I will look forward to seeing the photos.

    L.Starkey@ Welcome and I will always appreciate it if you call by often.

    Rosaria@ No just a librarian :)

    TexaGermaNadian@ Thankyou for taking the time to call by, I hope to see you here again.

    Roz@ No I did not know how interesting. I will link in when I think it is relevant. It may be Spring but we still have a bitterly cold wind.

    Kia@ Thankyou and the same to you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. St. Joseph, one of my favorites..I only had daughters, but they all carry the name Marie in the middle for Mary..Now Granddaughters do too..the Grandsons all have Joseph as a middle name..Keeps us close to the Holy Family..
    Couldn't hear the song..the computer still isn't fixed..next it will just die. Pretty soon I will have to do something and that can be very dangerous..haha..xoCarolyn

    ReplyDelete
  26. Another fantastic Sunday Session!
    I love coming here to get a little piece of Italy each week. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I no longer make cards and crafts for my dad, but no matter where I am living at the time, I never forget to call him on March 19th!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thea@ As I enjoy a little piece of Australia every week.

    Elisa@ I think that is wonderful keep doing it as he will not be around for ever. I still miss my Dad terribly and he died in 2006.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great information. Lucky me I recently found your site by accident (stumbleupon).
    I have book-marked it for later!
    My web page > Season and Episodes

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate it and enjoy reading them all. I now only respond to comments via email, so please make sure your comment is linked to your account, if you would like a response. Otherwise I will not be able to respond!