Welcome Everyone.

Welcome to News From Italy, my blog about our Italian Adventure. Although this blog has now ceased publication I will be continuing to blog and I am sincerely hoping that my many followers here will move with me to Travel Tales blog to follow my next adventures wherever they may take me. The links to my other blogs are:-


I look forward to keeping in touch with you via them, thanks once again for all the support you have given 'News From Italy' over the years.

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Olive Oil

 

A photo collage to show you the results that our disastrous Olive Harvest left us with!   Olive Harvest 2010 Che Disastro  We were extremely lucky that our pathetic haul of probably around 45 kilos maximum went off to the mill with our neighbour’s harvest.  They were only to pleased to help us out as we had no way near enough kilos required to have a pressing of our own this year.

Our neighbours trees are a few kilometres away from here and luckily for them their crop was not harmed in the same way as ours, despite a lot of olives already being on the ground from wind damage they still managed to pick what they considered to be a very successful crop, although the yield this year was lower than expected.

Just a few days ago they presented us with this five litre bottle of beautiful green olive oil our percentage share from our contribution. Fortunately having had a very successful harvest last year with plenty of oil to see us through until next year, this bottle will be treated as extra special and only used on special occasions.

We have of course had a traditional tasting and it is delicious with a peppery tang giving it tremendous flavour.

 

Copyright All rights reserved by LindyLouMac Photo Collection

I like the reflections created in the glass.

I am also going to be participating in Outdoor Wednesday again this week.

Outdoor Wednesday button[5]Welcome to ‘News From Italy’ to the other participants, thankyou for calling by.

http://asoutherndaydreamer.blogspot.com/

23 comments:

  1. You won't have too much oil into your salad this year, but think of how many yummy bruschette you can have!
    Mmmmmmh..I'm getting hungry! :)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ciao! Sorry about the disastrous olive harvest, but I'm glad to hear you have enough to last until next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really is like gold, even color ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, so I have sunshine, you have gorgeous oil. Let's trade.......:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photo and oh, how good to have your own home grown olive oil. Yum yum. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was nice of your neighbor, and such a gorgeous olive glass bottle..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy, it is beautiful. The oil would cost a fortune here in the states.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never used to understand about olive oil, like how anyone could eat just oil on bread, until I went to Italy. Now I can't imagine using any other oil! I'm happy that you got at least this "souvenir" bottle from this year's harvest and hope next year's is rich and abundant! – g

    ReplyDelete
  9. Homemade olive oil, yum! Nothing goes better on a salad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sweetlife, - We are fortunate that last year's harvest provided us with enough oil to hopefully see us through to the 2011 harvest. We can save this precious bottle for special occasions and bruschette.

    Carol - How many hours will you trade per litre?

    Diane - Thankyou, yes we are extremely lucky, it just not compare to commercial products.

    IcyBC - Yes it was we did not expect them to, we just did not want the olives to be wasted.

    Kia - Welcome and your comment is absolutely spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How fun to see the finished product. I really learned a lot from your lessons about olive growing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a sense of self reliance - olive oil by way of your own toil.
    Never will I be able to buy another bottle of oo without thinking of you harvesting olives.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A five liter bottle of gorgeous color, that's for sure. I can just imagine that on bruschetta!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I bet it smells wonderful. And with Italian bread... Sorry, I have to go and visit Little Italy in my city today.
    I am sure, your olive oil has absolutely different value.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi,
    I believe olive oil is like nectar! Here in Greece the best way to try olive oil is on fresh bread! I really believe you are so lucky to have your own olive oil and good neighbor..:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. A treasure of a bottle that's for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Thanksgiving, and I hope you celebrate it in Italy too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's sad about your olives...but nice to have good neighbors! I love dipping a crusty bread in olive oil, too! I can't stop! Enjoy your week! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think that you should be commended for growing and harvesting your own olives in the first place. There is no such thing as failure as some say . . . . only lessons. Congratulations on taking on new challenges! I wish you a wonderful holiday season and if you celebrate Thanksgiving, I hope that yours if filled with blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm sorry about your olives, but my God, this made me instantly hungry. I love olive oil on bread and looks yummy.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Icy BC - Thankyou, no special celebration for us but we were thinking of our friends that were celebrating.

    bella(roz) - Thankyou for your kind words and greetings. We certainly appreciate the olive oil we do have this year, even more than normal as it is the product of a poor harvest.

    Joana - Fresh Olive oil on bread is a real treat we look forward to each year.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yummy! That looks divine. We don't have any olive trees (YET!) so my in-laws by litres upon litres of the stuff from a local farmer and it is just nothing like the oil you buy in shops. Your oil however would be even better, knowing that it came from your very own trees!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Even if it's only one bottle, it's still from your very own olives. That alone has to be extra-special. I don't think I'll be growing my own olives in London any time soon, so I'll keep checking in for updates on taste etc ;-) Love from London xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate it and enjoy reading them all. I now only respond to comments via email, so please make sure your comment is linked to your account, if you would like a response. Otherwise I will not be able to respond!